Don’t let them fool you…not another Bob Marley lyrics!


If you have ever bothered to check my Facebook profile, you would have known by now (assuming you didn’t before that is) that I am a MUSLIM, and proudly so too! Let me quickly give you a hint about the family background of people from southern Nigeria. It is such that, you’re either born into a Muslim family with some cousins, aunts, nephews, nieces, neighbours, friends or even parents, yes, even parents, both or either, practicing a different faith. So it’s no surprise neither is it strange to have someone like me fall into that class. Although, both my parents are of same faith, but my step-mom is not, a Ghanaian by nationality and neither are some of my cousins with whom I share a very close bond. Do not even get me started on school mates, neighbours, friends and people I have come to know from our line of business and have shared close relations with. I happen to have attended one of the Missionary established schools in Lagos state. Although not a direct one, but an extension of a missionary school dated back to the 18th century and owned by the Baptists. I was born in the north, but bred in Lagos state. Lagos is majorly the multi-cultural state in Nigeria, before any other, being a cosmopolitan city. It is very unlikely that you’ll find a community consisting of a ‘single’ faith- it is usually a mixture of Christianity and Islam, albeit one dominant over the other. And for this reason, we have cohabited by choice and sometimes by circumstance for as long as history can relate.
It would be an incomplete history and a shy away from the truth if I omit the fact that, we’ve had several unrests, chaos and demonstrations that has led to the loss of lives as a result of cultural/religious clashes in Lagos state. It wasn’t an absolute state of harmony, but I tell you it hasn’t recorded sordid ordeals or sheer cruelty and inhumane attacks on innocent lives; that has formed the pattern of the northern Nigeria. However, there is a huge difference that the public may be blinded from in order to misguide and misinform them---“The state of anarchy as I refer to the lawlessness in some part of Northern Nigeria, were not “religiously” motivated crimes, but with a huge “Political” backing and instigation. I tell you, I have studied Politics before, but I am no fan of that subject. It has just been something I cannot wish away, because I am interested in knowing what goes on around me. So am not going into politics, besides it’s a very boring subject for some.
The AIM of the recent attacks of Christians by the so-called Boko Haram (translates thus: Education is forbidden-how deluded and ironic for those who claim to understand Islam, which on the contrary preaches the compulsory acquisition of knowledge from cradle to grave!), is politically motivated and its sole aim is to make Nigeria ungovernable.., It isn’t about Muslims and Christians hating each other that much and wanting to eliminate one another. But religion has always been a sensitive subject and what better way to achieve their dubious devilish plans by playing on sentiments? Even clashes that should be referred to as “ethnic” would be labeled “Christians against Muslims” as it seems to get them results faster. My fellow Nigerians, I beg of you with everything you hold dear, do not let these ruthless politicians use you as tools to achieve their aims. By “hating” each other, we are letting them win this battle. We cannot and should not let them turn us against each other. We cannot suddenly become foes of families, friends, course mates, classmates, neighbours, business associates, I mean you just name it; with whom you have shared close-knit, outings, celebrations, marital ties, food (which was never poisoned), anything and everything you can think of. People who have not hurt you in the name of religion, betrayed your trust in the name of religion, stabbed you in the back in the name of Islam, harm you in the name of Islam, people whom you have known and have even referred to as ‘Close friends’ or ‘families’ before now. If we allow that to happen, then we have been defeated and have let these heartless and selfish politicians achieve their aim. We are not like them, so please, do not “think” or    “act “ like them”!The Muslims are not your enemies, corrupt, dubious, heartless, selfish, greedy Ungodly politicians are. Don’t let them fool you…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why are people interested in politics?

DARE TO DREAM!