I love my Africa, still…

Africa, my Africa! I love my continent still!

Plagued by insurgency in the East, uprising in the North, terror in the West, rebellion in the south,

I love my Africa, still!

Africa, the land of my birth, but a continent I have grown weary of in my "wisdom years",

Was no haven in my tots, but to that I was oblivion,

For those years still remain memories to cherish,

I hiked to school without worry,

Wandered in my innocence without caution,

And hopped about playfully with the innocence known only by a child,

If I had to be anywhere by road, I longed for such thrill

To see places I could not frequent, looking through the windows delightfully

Those days,having a loved one afar meant no disaffection

You would long for such reunion

And in my case as it were

It was so much more fun than a child could have wished for

A three-day ride from Zaria in Kaduna

To the famous Iddo market in Lagos

Was a thrill compared to nothing

And all these have remained but a memory

A reminder of "the good old days"

All I do now is live with hope,

So held by a tiny thread

As I watch my homeland, and its African siblings torn apart by man's selfish, undying desires

Everything has gone so wrong in turns

Where is the Africa I once knew?

For its tranquil has eluded me

But I sigh in hope

Because I love my Africa still!

"Let there be peace in our hearts, peace in our homes, peace in our nation and the world…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why are people interested in politics?

DARE TO DREAM!

Arise O'Compatriots!